Sunday 29 March 2015

NES Pickups - March 29th, 2015




"Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Sometimes I'm amazed at the speed of life when the internet intervenes.  Less than 24 hours ago I was enjoying a Marilyn Manson concert and bumped into a friend of mine there.  She knows that in addition to loving music I am also a nintendo game collector.  She promised to comment with my name every time she saw someone selling NES games through Facebook and today she did just that.  I looked at the ad she was pointing me to and found that the seller was looking for offers on about a dozen or so NES titles.  Looking at the picture that was posted two titles jumped out right away.  I was happy to see Silk Worm available, but when I saw that he was offering Battletoads I was dumbfounded.

That slippery little sucker has eluded capture by me for a long time.  I have had it on the line before a time or two only for it to wriggle its way off the hook before I could reel it in.  I think 3 or 4 such ads have gone up and I was either a day late or a dollar short on them. I thought for sure when I contacted him he would say it was already sold; in fact my past failed attempts at getting this game have made me think that the only way it would grace my shelves was if I bought it on eBay.

What I found equally shocking was that the seller gave me a great deal on the two games. The whole transaction took place in the doorway of his house and was over quicker than a Mike Tyson bout (during his prime). I walked back to the car a mere 30 seconds later still shaking my head that Battletoads was mine!

Even though my Collection app lists Silk Worm as the more rare title of the two Battletoads seems to be among those upper echelon games like Contra, Zelda and the Megaman Series that resellers know the value of (and quickly snap up) and that even casual NES fans covet highly (and thus hang on to). For these reasons and countless others I thought for certain this game would continue to be a pipe dream.  So glad I was mistaken.


Nes Carts:  469
Licensed games:  434/687
Unlicensed games:  35/90

No comments:

Post a Comment