Tuesday 14 July 2015

A Series Complete

Mark this day on the calendars boys and girls because I have finally finished my Megaman Collection for the NES.  It took better than 7 years to get the last piece of the puzzle but it was worth it.  I had the first game as a kid and played it to death, but I didn't reacquire it until 2008.  Here we are halfway through 2015 and I have finally got Megaman 5; the one remaining game in the franchise.  Megaman is arguably the most prolific series for the Nintendo Entertainment System spawning a total of 6 games on the console.  I don't even think Nintendo's mascot, Mario, has as many direct games. Well maybe if you count all of the spin-offs.  At the very least we can say that the Megaman Series is impressive and all share a lot of great features:  awesome soundtracks, nearly flawless controls, punishing difficulty and great graphics (just to name a few).


This game (and the other I got -- which will undoubtedly bask silently in the shadow of the Megaman pickup) came about from a Facebook group I belong to for buyers and sellers of retro games.  The seller had an emotional attachment to the game and explained that it was from his childhood (or I believe the words he used were it WAS his childhood).  For this reason he was asking a small ransom for the game.  I told him that I could TOTALLY relate to this. I urged him to read this blog to get a better feel for who I was and what my intentions were with this all important bastion of his days gone by.  

I made another offer to him and he stood firm (reiterating that he was wanting more out of the game).  I decided to not push the issue too hard and, instead, reminded him to read about my collection and hopefully come to the conclusion that I am not in the market to make money on his memories and only want to buy the game to add it to my personal collection.  After some thought he floored me by saying that I should be the guy to have the game.  I was dumbfounded and really didn't know what to say.  I was fighting my want to get the game and finish this series and the realization that he was giving the game up to make that happen.  

In the end I'd like to think that the words on these pages made him comfortable in his decision to sell me the game -- knowing full well that I had only the intention of preserving the game and enjoying it with my kids. So he met me after work and I picked up Megaman 5 and Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino & Hoppy.  


I'm dragging on here so I'll end off by once again giving my totals as follows: 

NES Carts:  514
Licensed games:  476/687


No comments:

Post a Comment