Thursday 9 July 2015

Throwback Thursday

Well I fired up the Delorean and took a trip WAY, WAY back to the year 2012.  3 years ago today I was featured on an awesome retro gaming website by one of the coolest ambassadors to the lifestyle that I have ever had the privilege of meeting: Ant Harper.  I would be remiss to say that the passion wasn't already in me to collect, but I think the interest shown by a perfect stranger in my modest collection really helped to jump start my desire to take my collection to the next level.  Ant's website, http://www.retrogamescollector.com, besides being a repository of amazing resources that span the entire industry of retro games (from the earliest computer home consoles right to the consoles of today) it is also a showcase for collectors and fans alike to rub shoulders with like-minded people and fulfill those boundless curiosities for discovery of what is out there.



I am humbled that I was one of the earlier entries to his: Show Us Your Collection section and 3 years later he has featured more than 30 different collections and collectors from all across the globe.  Looking at some of the amazing hobbyists out there I am an instant fanboy and in awe of their dedication to this past-time.  I honestly feel bad calling it a past-time as it is so much more to the people who grew up playing these games.  For many, and I count myself among them, it is a walk through the wardrobe so to speak; a chance to go back to a simpler time.

In the last 3 years I am happy to say that my collection has come a long way!  In July 2012 I had about 260 cartridges, 25 manuals and a handful of boxes and today I have just over 500 cartridges, 80+ manuals and close to 60 boxes.  With these artifacts I have been able to put together about 30 complete in box games.  I still haven't found any games quite as uncommon as the catalyst that started my renewed obsession with collecting these games: Maxi 15, but I have picked up a lot of really great titles. The acquisitions of the last 3 years run the gamut of commons to moderately rare, licensed, unlicensed, favorites, stinkers, black box games and everything in between.

Some of the less common titles I've managed to get my hands on since 2012 are as follows:  Dusty Diamond Softball, Impossible Mission II, Joshua, Galactic Crusader, Double Strike, King of Kings, Pacmania, Pirates!, Balloon Fight, Kirby's Adventure, Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers, RC Pro Am II, Clu Clu Land, Kiwi Kraze, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Megaman 6, Popeye, Ducktales, Empire Strikes Back, Little Ninja Bros., Kickle Cubicle, Toki, Battle Toads, Bomberman, Dragon's Lair, Power Punch II, Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew and Joe & Mac.

The last few years have seen me branch out my search beyond the towns that bookend mine.  I've traveled to the US and further west in BC to attend a retro gaming convention. In addition to games I have also managed to find an official Nintendo carry bag from the late 80s, a NES Advantage Controller and a NES Satellite in the box.

This year has seen me find many new traders, collectors, and friends through networking on social media and answering ads and I am excited to see what the next few years hold.


No comments:

Post a Comment