Thursday 18 September 2014

Nes pickups September 18th, 2014

For a change of pace this week my wife and I drove one town over to visit the thrift stores, pawn shops etc. in search of games for me and the usual knick knacks that strike her fancy.  She was on a mission as well to find fabric for our kids' halloween costumes and the latest round of handmade dolls that she creates.  [inserting shameless plug]  If you'd like to check out some of her work she can be found at the link below:

Boopsiedaisy on Etsy

After visiting several second hand stores in the area and coming up empty handed I finally picked up a copy of Lego Batman for the PC (lego games have become one of my guilty pleasures of late).  Then at the local comic book and collectibles store, Ebenezer's, I found a few games that tickled my fancy (and separated me from some dollars).

From the name sake of Mr. Scrooge himself I found an employee, who couldn't have been further from that persona, to help me out by opening up the NES display case so I could take a closer look.  I found about a half dozen games that I still need to put into my collection but for today I picked up.... Rollergames (which I believe is an arcade port) and Joshua & the Battle of Jericho (an unlicensed game by Wisdom Tree and manufactured by Color Dreams).


The most humourous feature of this game is the esoteric instructions they give you on the front label;  ** TO START GAME: Please wait up to 9 flashes on TV screen.  ** POWER ON:  Please wait 7 seconds between Power OFF and ON.


Well that's clear as mud (as is the shield on the right side of the picture that tells you that this is designed for use with the nintendo entertainment system... if you didn't know you would need a magnifying glass to read it).  Couple that with the normal blinking of the power button at the best of times and you have the recipe for awesome!

Even though they aren't legit games by Nintendo's standards I have a soft spot for these few that fall outside of the grayish color pallete popularized by the NES.  The Colordreams blue and black carts, the Camerica Gold carts, and the Tengen black carts are all personal favorites.  So it was really a no brainer when I was able to add Joshua to my lineup for less than what my app valued the game at. These two additions put my NES cartridge count up to: 436.  Until next time!  Happy collecting.


No comments:

Post a Comment