Thursday 16 April 2015

NES Pickups - April 15th, 2015


Today was an awesome day for pickups! In total I got 12 games (6 new, 6 replacements). This deal came about through one connection pointing me to another.  A seller on Kijiji (who incidentally I had bought from a year or two back) was selling off what seemed to be their private collection of nintendo games.  The ad was ordered and priced by rarity of game and so rather than tease myself with the games at the end of the list I found a bunch of the common games on the list to try and fill out my collection.  I submitted the wants from the list and we went back and forth a few times as some games had sold since the listing was posted.  Finally I had found a dozen games and was given directions to the meeting place.

In a scene right out of a gangster type movie I was told to drive to the end of a road where I would be met by two concrete abutments book-ending a barbwire chain that was proudly displaying a NO TRESPASSING sign.  I messaged when I arrived.  While I waited I surveyed the surrounding area.  Off in the distance I saw a small clearing about 100 meters from where I was waiting that was lined with travel trailers.  For a split second all kinds of crazy scenarios went through my mind (from every movie I had ever seen).  Before my imagination could get the best of me the trade went down and I was back in the car and on my way home.  It was a very surreal experience even though it was much more benign than my head made it seem to me.


In my haste I forgot my notes behind so I was going from memory, but once home I was able to determine that I had received 6 new additions to my collection.  I also replaced 4 of my carts with better copies and scored 2 doubles that I could use to bolster a future trade or sale. New games are as follows: Immortal, Gold Medal Challenge '92, Videomation, American Gladiators, Treasure Master and Defender 2 (w/manual).  I also brought home some very good copies of:  Pro Wrestling, Wrestlemania, Ring King, Big Bird's Hide & Speak, Track & Field and Karate Champ; of which Hide & Speak, Ring King and Track & Field immediately subbed into the roster.

Standouts from this capture are Treasure Master and Defender II.  I have no emotional attachment to the former, it is just one of the less common titles and has a very loud, obnoxious, 80s for all of the wrong reasons labels that for some reason, unknown, endears itself to me. As for Defender II, I have so many fond memories of growing up playing the original game on the Atari 2600 that I had to scoop that one.  Who can go wrong with a sequel, right?  I mean Goonies 2 was pretty good... so good they didn't even make a Goonies 1 game.  I  could also add that I was happy to replace one of the worst labels I had in Hide & Speak. It was a game I grabbed early in my collection (before I was as picky about the condition of labels).


Nes Carts:  480
Licensed games:  445/687

No comments:

Post a Comment